Contact Us | Email : sales@DDPerformanceResearch.com

Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alonzo's 2005 Celica GT auto 1ZZ turbo build
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Alonzo has been a very patient customer who has been waiting for the shop to get fully operational before taking his car down for a turbokits.com turbo kit install. He and Dave had been discussing this build for at least a year.

Alonzo has some work completed on his auto 1zz trans from level 10 prior to bringing the car down.

We're going to get the car strapped on the dyno today for a few baseline pulls before we start the turbokit install. We'll hopefully have some dyno pics up later today.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Alonzo's 2005 Celica GT auto 1ZZ turbo build
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the pics of the 2nd gear power pulls:

We also dynoed the car in 3rd gear and we were getting some strange plots at the bottom end and there is some slippage on the trans at the top of 3rd around 6K that causes a dyno anomaly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:07 pm 
New User

Im glad you guys are getting started already. I've been looking forward to this for quite sometime, but Im sure it will be well worth the wait :D. Also is the slippage a sign that the tranny is going out? Or is this common on dynoing automatics?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:38 am 
Owner

No, its not common - we will be doing some testing and data logging with the factory scan tool to determine exactly whats going on and why before we start bolting things on.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:18 pm 
New User

I still have a spare transmission sitting at the house, so if it becomes a problem then we can just swap them out.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:53 am 
Owner

The tranny gave us no issues out on the street - logs showed perfectly linear accel so we should be fine.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm 
New User

That's great news, Im glad I have one less thing to worry about. I've been emailing turbokits.com about the manifold but it doesn't seem like they are in a rush to respond back. I hope I can get the issue resolved today and have it shipped to you ASAP.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:15 pm 
Owner

We'll keep our fingers crossed. You might try calling them as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Some updated progress:

Oil feed line has been run to the greddy stand-off plate. I ran it up and underneath the charge pipes and down behind the alternator and wrapped it in a rubber hose to protect it and all the parts it comes in contact with. Gives a much cleaner look than going underneath the engine, and the underside was already very busy with the oil drain line and turbo coolant lines.

Getting fittings was a major chore. The greddy block off plate has 2 1/8-28 female threads, which are not US standard fittings, and the AEM oil pressure sensor & the oil feed line supplied from TK.com has 1/8-27 male. Thankfully I found a supplier in Houston that could obtain the fittings I needed to get it all sorted.

Turbo coolant lines have been run as per TK.com install instructions.

Got the I/C mounted at an angle so we dont have to cut the front plastics as per Alonzo's request. Got the New trans cooler sourced and installed above the I/C:

Also shaved off the foam that covered half the opening on the re-designed front bumper vent for the 03-05 celicas to allow for better airflow across the cooler and ac condenser:

Also made a custom radiator shroud to help keep airflow across the cooler and a/c condenser:

Pulled the Intake manifold off so we could clean it properly, it was very dirty.

Shot of the cleaned intake manifold and powder coated valve cover.
Can you spot where we ran the AEM FIC wires? Dave did a kick butt job making it look factory, well except for the bling box (aka ecu box) you wouldn't know it :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:44 pm 
New User

Everything is coming together great!!! Well now that all the headaches are out of the way ;) Also you guys did a badass job on the ECU box and concealing the wires.

Offline Profile